Vagueando na Notícia

Participe do fórum, é rápido e fácil

Vagueando na Notícia
Vagueando na Notícia
Gostaria de reagir a esta mensagem? Crie uma conta em poucos cliques ou inicie sessão para continuar.

RAHM ISRAEL EMANUEL ,BRACO DIREITO DE OBAMA E ISRAEL

Ir para baixo

RAHM ISRAEL EMANUEL ,BRACO DIREITO DE OBAMA E ISRAEL Empty RAHM ISRAEL EMANUEL ,BRACO DIREITO DE OBAMA E ISRAEL

Mensagem por RONALDO ALMEIDA Sex Nov 07, 2008 8:00 am

Ele e TOTALMENTE cometido a defesa de israel. iSTO VAI SER UM DESAPONTAMENTO PARA O MANGO!!!!!!The Atlantic Home

« TSA-Style Foolishness, Chicago Division | Main

Rahm Emanuel and Israel
06 Nov 2008 12:44 pm

The news that Rahm Emanuel has accepted Barack Obama's request to be his chief of staff is fascinating on many levels, not least of which is Rahm's deep Israel credentials. First, in the interest of full disclosure, I've known Rahm for a long time, and he's yelled at me for no good reason on many occasions. This, of course, is the way he expresses affection. I do believe, despite the yelling, that Rahm is an excellent choice to run the White House, and I'll get into that later.

But for now, a couple of comments about the Israel connection:

1) This choice makes the entire "Does Obama secretly hate Israel?" conversation seem a bit ridiculous (Though the vast majority of Jewish voters seemed to have figured that out by the election). Rahm did not, despite the rumors, serve in the Israeli Army, but he is deeply and emotionally committed to Israel and its safety. We've talked about the issue a dozen times; it's something he thinks about constantly, and his appointment gives me further reason to believe that the Obama Administration will not wait seven years to address the Israeli-Arab crisis.

2) Peace-processors take heart: Rahm, precisely because he's a lover of Israel, will not have much patience with Israeli excuse-making, so when the next Prime Minister tells President Obama that as much as he'd love to, he can't dismantle the Neve Manyak settlement outpost, or whichever outpost needs dismantling, because of a) domestic politics; b) security concerns, or c) the Bible, Rahm will call out such nonsense, and it will be very hard for right-wing Israelis to come back and accuse him of being a self-hating Jew. This is not to say that he's unaware of Palestinian dysfunction, or Iranian extremism, but that he has a good grasp of some of Israel's foibles as well. All in all, it's a very heartening choice.

Permalink ::
Share This

About Jeffrey Goldberg

Email Jeffrey

Subscribe to RSS News Feed

Subscribe to Jeffrey Goldberg by Email

by Jeffrey Goldberg

Prisoners

Reviews :: Buy the book

Articles
Interviews Slate The Forward The Jerusalem Post The New Republic The New York Times The New Yorker The Washington Post Monthly Archives
November 2008 October 2008 September 2008 August 2008 July 2008 June 2008 May 2008 April 2008 March 2008 January 2008 October 2007 June 2007

Home | Atlantic FAQ | Masthead | Site Guide | Subscribe | Subscriber Help

Atlantic Store | Educational Program | Jobs/Internships | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Advertise
Copyright © 2008 by The Atlantic Monthly Group. All rights reserved.
RONALDO ALMEIDA
RONALDO ALMEIDA

Pontos : 10367

Ir para o topo Ir para baixo

Ir para o topo

Permissões neste sub-fórum
Não podes responder a tópicos